Thursday, May 11, 2006

All I need in Life is my right finger

Job #1 ---- College, what's that?

I worked at a small manufacturing shop. I used to be 1 out of 14 employees. People were amazed when i spoke of "college". I was amazed i was in college and doing this job.

This was my summer job.
Job: Count Bolts. Turn on fax, turn on computers, Count files, count bolts, file papers, count bolts again.
Odd-job: Write Down number of bolts.

Skills used: Sesame Street Numbering songs to keep my mind busy and handy right index finger for counting.

New use of Right index finger: Unstapling 20 staples a min. I kid you not.


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Job #2 ---- We are the borg

This was my school job -cashiering at UCLA's faculty center. It's kind of funny watching your esteemed professors chow down 2 bowls of chili and 2 glasses of wine. I guess those be the perks.

Job: Treat everyone the same. Know everyone's membership number. Assimilate more people into the collective membership services. Repeat the same line over and over and over again. Press many buttons on key pad. Live off of crackers and water. Count papers, count receipts, count checks.
Odd-job:Explain the difference between buying bottled coke vs. coke from the machine in a glass. I mean, COME ON PEOPLE.

Skills used: Fake Bo-Tox smile, a cheery muppet voice, and again, my trusting right index finger.
New use of Right index finger: Stiring crackers in water. Hmmmmm Cream of Ritz.


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Job#3 ---- I have a Social Security Number

UCLA Lab. Research. Kind of.
I was probably the only one, short of my Boss Boss, that had a SSN. I was 1 of 2 american citizens. Everyone else was "visiting". Man, I hope my mother-in-law doesn't "visit"in the same manner.

Job: Discussing the nuiances of "invite you we wish" and "we wish to invite you". Using the copy machine. Using the fax machine. Searching the web for magazines to submit our Events. Use mouse. Make webpage. Make changes. Make me start over. Make webpage. Make me crazy. Databasing. Data reading. Data hating.
Odd Job: I planned a "business" meeting for my boss in Las Vegas for him and his friends and all their families. Interesting "meeting". Talked to Vegas operator, who was black, for about 1.5 hours. One of the best 90mins on this job.

Skills: English as a first Language. Some art stuff. Even though I would use the keyboard. I would use my right index finger much much much more.
New use of Right index finger: "I didn't want the webpage like this (point at me) you wanted it like this (point at him)" Basioally, stickin to the man. The guilty man.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home